Friday, February 10, 2012

Novels 'n' Notes #4: Why Can't I by Liz Phair

Novels 'n' Notes is a weekly event I created here at Geek Chic to talk about songs that remind me of books. Feel free to make your own NN post! Just grab the logo (below) and link your post here so I can see it!



Why Can't I by Liz Phair: Etienne St. Clair and Anna Oliphant from Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
I love this song so, so much. And I love this book so, so much. So I was very happy when I found connections between them. See for yourself!

-"Holding hands with you when we're out at night. Got a girlfriend, you say it isn't right. And I've got someone waiting too."

St. Clair and Anna become friends pretty much instantaneously, but St. Clair has a girlfriend, and Anna has a maybe-almost-boyfriend back home, Toph.
-"Isn't this the best part of breakin' up? Finding someone else you can't get enough of, someone who wants to be with you, too."

*Slight spoiler* After Anna is "betrayed" by Toph, she's able to go back to Paris and hang out with Etienne. Which is, in my opinion, infinitely better than being with Toph. Just saying. *End Spoiler*

-"It's inevitable, it's a fact that we're gonna get down to it."

Basically, Anna and Etienne are a ticking time-bomb that's going to explode any moment, because they can't pretend they don't like each other forever.
Below you can listen to Why Can't I and decide whether this book reminds you of Anna and Etienne. 



Please note that I do not own this song, the lyrics, or anything related to Liz Phair or Why Can't I. I also did not post this video, nor am I affiliated with "Darthkippy12", who did. *Insert other legal stuff here.*

So, what do you think? Does Why Can't I make you think of Anna and the French Kiss? What other songs make you think of books?

You can tell me in the comments or your own NN post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! We respond to every one, so check back later for a response, or leave an e-mail address or twitter, and we'll reply that way!