Thursday, February 2, 2012

Review: Need by Carrie Jones

I wasn't sure what to expect when I started Need. It's one of those books that doesn't give much hint on the flap about what kind of supernatural creatures you're going to meet. Actually, I kind of prefer books like that. It's the difference between Twilight, where the back cover says "He is a vampire", and Haven by Kristi Cook where I went into it having no idea what was going to go down.


 Need by Carrie Jones

Zara White suspects there's a freaky guy semi-stalking her. She's also obsessed with phobias. And it's true, she hasn't exactly been herself since her stepfather died. But exiling her to shivery Maine to live with her grandmother? That seems a bit extreme. The move is supposed to help her stay sane...but Zara's pretty sure her mom just can't deal with her right now.

She couldn't be more wrong. Turns out the semi-stalker is not a figment of Zara's overactive imagination. In fact, he's still following her, leaving behind an eerie trail of gold dust. There's something not right - not human - in this sleepy Maine town, and all signs point to Zara.

In this creepy, compelling breakout novel, Carrie Jones delivers romance, suspense, and a creature you never thought you'd have to fear.


------
One of the very first things I noticed about this book: Zara's grandma's name is Betty White. Just thought I'd share. Anyway.

I really loved this book. I'd heard conflicting opinions on it, and wasn't sure if it would be good. In my opinion, it was.

First off, I really liked Zara's interest in phobias. I don't know many phobias by name (I'm enough of a worrier as it is), but I thought it was really cool how each chapter has a phobia (and its meaning) as its title and, when you think about it, the phobia connects with the events that occur in the chapter. Like, "Didaskaleinophobia" is the fear of going to school, and it's the chapter title of Zara's first day of school. Unfortunately, unperceptive me usually didn't connect the dots until the chapter was over. And then it was like, "Ohhh, I see what you did there!" So if you haven't read Need yet and you're going to, PAY ATTENTION TO CHAPTER TITLES! See if you can see what's coming. ;)

I also liked the supernatural aspect of the book. Like I said before, going into the book, I wasn't exactly sure what Zara was in for. One part of the supernatural is revealed relatively early on, but the other is only hinted at. I figured that one out pretty quickly, but it was nice seeing all the clues for the first time along with Zara. Plus, what it did for me was mix a popular, almost-getting-old supernatural genre with something else to make something unique. So snaps for Carrie Jones.

And now on to my favorite thing...romance. Pretty early in the book, a sorta-love triangle developed. I say "sorta" because it seemed to me like Zara, despite the fact that two boys showed interest in her, only really had interest in one of them. Honestly, though, I couldn't blame her, because I felt the same way.

Because NICK. OMGosh, I love that guy. I really love the protective guys in books, and Nick is pretty much as protective as they come. Whether he's pushing her car out of a ditch or warning her away from trouble, Nick is always looking out for Zara. And that just makes him all the more attractive.

Altogether, I give this book: <*><*><*><*><*>

(:D)
~Mag

2 comments:

  1. I loved the phobias too! It was really interesting learning about them. I found it fascinating. And I agree, Nick is the best! Great Review!! :D

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! We respond to every one, so check back later for a response, or leave an e-mail address or twitter, and we'll reply that way!