Thursday, March 29, 2012

Review: Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

You know those awesome times when you're just looking around the library's shelf and you pick up a book at random and that book is AWESOME? This is one of those times. Besides that, this book is by JENNIFER LYNN BARNES, who wrote the Raised by Wolves series. WHICH I LOVE. So I knew I was going to love this book, and I TOTALLY did!





Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes 
Every other day, Kali D'Angelo is a normal sixteen-year-old girl. She goes to public high school. She attends pep rallies. She's human. 
And then every day in between . . .She's something else entirely. 
Though she still looks like herself, every twenty-four hours predatory instincts take over and Kali becomes a feared demon-hunter with the undeniable urge to hunt, trap, and kill zombies, hellhounds, and other supernatural creatures. Kali has no idea why she is the way she is, but she gives in to instinct anyway. Even though the government considers it environmental terrorism. 
When Kali notices a mark on the lower back of a popular girl at school, she knows instantly that the girl is marked for death by one of these creatures. Kali has twenty-four hours to save her and, unfortunately, she'll have to do it as a human. With the help of a few new friends, Kali takes a risk that her human body might not survive. . .and learns the secrets of her mysterious condition in the process. 
------
There was so much I ABSOLUTELY loved about this book. To name a few:

-Kali. She was an awesome, AWESOME heroine. 

-Zev's name. And Zev himself, of course. He was different, and definitely interesting and mysterious.

-Skylar. Okay, definitely one of my favorite characters OF ALL TIME. But I think she needs to re-evaluate what the word "little" means.

-The every-other-day pattern of Kali's powers. It's such a original and cool idea. Imagine, for a second: You're a normal girl. Powerless. Average. Then the sun comes up, and suddenly you're not. You're a monster hunter. Dawn comes back around, and boom, rinse and repeat.

-The world and mythology. As much as I love books where paranormals are a closely guarded secret, known only by a select few, the alternate worlds, similar to ours but different (Like Holly Black's Curse Workers series) where everyone knows are SO COOL. Besides that, I've always liked when multiple types of paranormals exist in the same world.

But more than just all that, the story itself was just incredible. It was unique and fun and twisty-turny, and I loved everything about it. The characters were awesome and hilarious, and those fantastic kind of characters that you wish you could actually meet and be friends with. 

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure this is going to be a stand-alone novel, which makes me sad because it's JUST SO GOOD. I don't want it to be over, you know? But yeah, as far as I can tell, this is it.

Anyway, WITHOUT A DOUBT THIS AWESOME, FANTASTICAL book gets <*><*><*><*><*>

(:D)
~Mag

5 comments:

  1. I love it when I pick up a book without high knowing how AMAZING it is. It's always such a pleasant surprise. So glad you loved this book, it really does sound like a fun read- especially since it has twisty turnys!

    Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love saying twisty-turnys. I love everything about the words twisty-turnys.

      Delete
    2. hahaha its a fun word to say! and it makes so much sense to us book lovers!

      Delete
  2. I've had this on my TBR list for a little while, but now I really want to read it soon! It sounds like such a cool story. And I love your review!

    "Dawn comes back around, and boom, rinse and repeat." LOL!

    It is totally an interesting, new twist on the paranormal and I can't wait to read it! Great review, Mag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Andrea! You should definitely check it out!

      Delete

We love comments! We respond to every one, so check back later for a response, or leave an e-mail address or twitter, and we'll reply that way!